Friday 12 March 2010

Vocabulary Update

Inspired by Mr A at Leggy's place, I have a new addition to my vocabulary. Specifically defined as ...

do a CAMRA [ˈdü ə ˈkæmrə]
v.tr.colloq.
roll over; betray allies; collaborate with opposition.
It's very versatile and can be utilised in many different situations.

Historical:

Brutus was Caesar's most trusted friend until he did a CAMRA on him.
Dramatic:

Hamlet suspected that Claudius had done a CAMRA on his father.
Religious:

And so it came to pass, in the Garden of Gethsemane did Judas do a CAMRA and kiss Jesus for thirty pieces of silver.
Sport:

Camel Coat: What do you think about Sol Cambell's transfer to Arsenal?
Spurs Fan: Well, he's done a CAMRA on us, ain't he?
Political:

The Queen stripped Anthony Blunt of his knighthood in 1979 after it was revealed he had done a CAMRA on his country.
Contemporary:

I thought they were my friends but when I was mugged, instead of helping they backed away and encouraged the muggers. They did a right CAMRA on me.
I shall put it to good use forthwith.


4 comments:

BTS said...

I can't help but be reminded of an evening when a female acquaintance of mine let slip (what an appropriate phase..) a story, thanks to some rather improbably intuitive questioning on my part.

She'd had a bit of a stomach bug, but when her boyfriend returned from work he was kind of in the mood.

And despite her protestations his persistence prevailed.

And, during the er.. most enthusiastic moments, she did a CAMRA on him.

And she was on top.

I said that he must have been both livid and disgusted.

To which she replied, "No, he was quite apologetic. He assumed it was him."

I had to enquire as to how they'd disposed of the mattress, what with living on the fourth floor and all, to which she responded, "I don't know, but I don't sleep in his room any more."

Safe to say I don't keep in touch..

Anonymous said...

Oh I say what a lovely carrot juice.
Yes yes old boy the aroma of hops coming up through the roots of the carrots where a hop grove used to be.
Alas but now it is a carrot juice farm.
Got it !
Your next chaps .
Your next.
Believe it !

Dick Puddlecote said...

BTS: Congrats. A very imaginative use of the term.

So descriptive is this that it deserves moving into common parlance.

It already is in Puddlecoteville. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ah, at last, others have spotted
the enemy within, CAMRA(one minute
while I go and change my sandals).
This fat whiskered branch of the
Temperance Movement require some
serious attention before they annihilate a once beloved aspect
of the Englishmans few pleasures,
The Pub.

We are not kidded by shiny clogs
clicking sticks and ruddy cheeks.
These Freudian cloud hoppers are
little more than an extension of
the down market Bloomsbury and
Westminster Village cliques.

Porterman